Houston Speeding Lawyer
Fight Your Houston Speeding Ticket
Many people assume that when they receive a speeding ticket, their only option is to pay whatever fines they are given. This is not the case. Despite pressures to pay fines and fees, you often have the choice to fight your citation in traffic court. Fighting your ticket in court can be a good option, especially if you are concerned with points on your record or a possible license suspension.
Our Houston speeding ticket lawyer has more than 20 years of experience handling traffic ticket cases and can use that experience to help you fight your ticket.
Cited for speeding? Contact Benavides Law Firm or call (713) 955-7344 to discuss your speeding ticket case today.
Is it Worth Fighting a Speeding Ticket?
If you are cited for exceeding the speed limit, it is worth contacting a lawyer to find out what your options are. In addition to explaining the charges brought against you, a speeding ticket attorney can thoroughly investigate your case and determine if fighting the case in court is in your best interest.
By contesting a speeding ticket you could possibly avoid the following penalties:
- Excessive fines
- Points on their driving record
- Increased insurance rates
- Suspension of their driver’s license
- Loss of driving privileges
How Many Points Are Assessed for a Speeding Ticket?
A speeding ticket will result in two points being added to your driving record. If the moving violation resulted in a collision, that number increases to three. If you decide to fight your speeding ticket, our Houston speeding ticket lawyer will be with you every step of the way.
How Much is a Speeding Ticket in Houston, Texas?
If you cannot get your speeding ticket dismissed, you could pay anywhere from $100-$500 depending on how fast you were going, if you were in a school or construction zone, etc.
Speeding Ticket Defense Strategies
If you were cited for speeding, that does not have to be the end of the story. In order to fight your speeding ticket you will need to have a strategy in place to protect your interests. Some common speeding ticket defense strategies include:
- Speeding was necessary in order to avoid harm: In certain cases there may be legitimate reasons why driving over the speed limit was the safest option. For example, if you swerved to avoid another car, and in the process exceeded the speed limit, you could argue that your actions were necessary to avoid potential harm to yourself and the other drivers.
- Speeding was legally justified: This strategy is often used in cases where a medical emergency has taken place and the driver safely exceeds the speed limit in an effort to get to a doctor.
- Speeding was the result of a genuine mistake: There could be instances where you made a genuine mistake and exceeded the speed limit. For example, if a new speed limit was established and you were unaware of the change, or if a speed limit sign had fallen down due to a storm, you could argue that your excessive speed was a mistake.
- Challenging the observations of the police officer who gave the citation: In some cases it may be possible to challenge the observations and conclusions of the officer. These arguments generally require some form of evidence, such as witnesses who will testify on your behalf, to prove your side of the story.
Protect Your Driving Privileges Today
At Benavides Law Firm, we work hard to provide superior legal services that consider more than the case at hand. Our clients are more than case numbers, and we know that the outcome of your case has the potential to affect your future.
Our speeding ticket lawyer in Houston takes a detail-oriented approach, considering the matter at hand as well as any previous legal situations you may have on your record. In this way, we make your needs our top priority. We also offer free case evaluations and are fluent in both English and Spanish. At Benavides Law Firm we are genuinely a client-focused practice.